1. Pickle flavored sunflower seeds are very good.
2. BBQ flavored sunflower seeds are eh. Not bad.
3. My wife is like the recalcitrant whatever it is in Green Eggs and Ham. She would not try a single, pickle-flavored sunflower seed despite high praise for them from everyone else in the car.
4. I’m watching Fox News in the hotel breakfast area. In the exact same breath that they say we need to put aside our differences and unite behind Trump, they condemn President’s Obama’s actions toward Israel as being completely and uniformly wrong — when at most he’s issuing a long overdue, mild rebuke for some of Israel’s worst actions. You must think like a trained monkey if you can’t see through this.
5. My daughter Grace observes her environment, thinks ahead, and does her best to be helpful. She’s amazing.
6. I have been in the habit of buying everyone the same kind of gift every Christmas. One year it was watches. Another year it was pocket knives. This year it was fountain pens. My daughter Beka got everyone in the Mississippi contingent bobbleheads. Grace got Bernie Sanders. Penn got a Pokémon. Etc.
7. I got Cthulhu.
8. I-10 should be renamed “The Franz Kafka Memorial Highway.” I will start a White House petition for this when I get back.
9. Except that the Suawnee River sign has a little bar of music along the bottom edge of it, which is great for a state road sign.
10. It was hilarious watching my wife and youngest daughter do Yoga in bed together. I wish I had video.
11. But listening to the voice of the breathy, female yoga instructor without seeing the video was disturbingly like listening to a director’s voice-over for a porn video: “Now shake your head back and forth. It won’t hurt.” Or for a space-horror film like Alien: “Now breathe your legs into your chest.”
12. The Saga graphic novel is really very good, thank you, Steven.
13. To the exact extent that Extended Stay America’s “Continental Breakfast” is lame, Holiday Inn’s is very good.
14. If you’re traveling with five people, you may still save money by paying a bit more daily for a place with a good breakfast. We stayed at an Extended Stay so that we could make at least breakfast in the morning, but that didn’t work out too often, and you still need to buy groceries. I think we would have saved money or broke even staying at a better hotel that actually had a good breakfast.
15. Best of all, there is now a 3-D printer for pancakes at the breakfast bar. A Facebook friend of mine also called it a “Pancake Keurig.” That works too.
17. My friend Julian told me about this great record shop in Mobile in which the guy tells stories about the rock stars he knew. I shall have to visit when I’m not driving through.
18. It’s amazing how big a mess three kids can make in a car with sunflower seeds. Buy the kind without shells.
19. I have never looked forward to getting my car detailed until now.
20. When I told my wife that I was writing a list of everything I learned on my trip, she said, quietly and rapidly, “Oh God.”